05 September 2006

A Child in Class


This is a Turkish boy in my class and I think that he is so cute! But he only speaks Turkish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In only two days we have had many a difficult moment. Notice the wall??? I helped make that cool train thingy that says, "We're on track with shapes!" Wonderful!!!! Oh, but get this...I am a pre.school and kindergarten teacher and I don't have a single box of crayola markers, crayons or paints!!!!! And then get this TURKEY DOESN'T HAVE THEM! Today they are like, "Laura, you must draw flashcards...." They only have skinny markers here and they just make do with that. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! I came with enough lotion to swim my way to America and not a single marker of card stock? What was I thinking? Oh yes, I thought that maybe the school would have this.... Think again people....the school can't have what Turkey doesn't offer... And how was I to know that Crayola hadn't gone national? The truth remains...as I hang my head in shame...I came unprepared to shape thes young minds.

5 Comments:

Blogger sedmikraska said...

don't worry! you can certainly find the supplies you need here in turkey!!! sometimes it's easier for folks to tell you something doesn't exist or that something is impossible to do -- but don't believe them until you ask around! most kirtasiye (stationery shops) have all the supplies you need; Carrefour is cheaper though and has a bigger selection; IKEA definitely has the bigger markers, too (that said, it's much cheaper in the states and i brought a lot of stuff like that with me, on the advice of a friend - so maybe your folks can send some crayola brand markers to you!!) --PS i'm starfish on EIT, i like your blog :-)

10:59 AM  
Blogger Miller's Missions said...

Your dot showed up. Yay!!! I'm sorry that you didn't bring crayons. I know also that lots of times they say things don't exist. I thought maybe that was just panama. You know the expression 'no hay' and 'no se puede' are Panama's theme song. There isn't any and you can't. When actually it's just a little harder. You can do it though. I love you. Stay encouraged. Know that we are rooting for you. And Marcela prays for Tia Loya every night.
Love,
Angel <><

1:03 PM  
Blogger T-Mac said...

Eeek! It sounds like you're making do just fine. :-)

2:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will you PLEASE e-mail me your address. I can't stand the thought of you not having markers and cardstock. . . not when there's a WalMart soooooooo close by!

Love you. . . .

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi lara

i just happened to come across your blog and really enjoyed this entry. I am in my second year as a kinder teacher in istanbul. last year we had crayons however this year we've yet to see even one box. It made me laugh to read your blog as it seems no matter what school you work in the issue are the same. . . .my favourite is when we run out of paper which seems to happen at leat once a month where i work
anyway thanks for the laughs

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home