01 September 2006

A Day in the Life to My Friends Who Don't Know

It would help if you have been down Las Ramblas in Barcelona Spain, but I will do my best in trying to descibe Istanbul. It is an amazing mixture between Paris, France and Morocco. The streets are VERY narrow and many of them are cobbled. (Did I spell that right?) The streets are quite crowded and one needs to be a tad aggressive. I quick flick of the head up means no, which I still have trouble with. A good friend is met and bid good-day with a kiss cheek to cheek. Saying one word in Turkish can make a Turkish person's day. Saying things wrong makes them laugh and they genuinely enjoy helping you try... Every day has at last two LONG tea breaks. No matter how much work needs to be done there is time for Chai! Turkish Tea is served in small glasses that have no handles so you grip the very top with your fingers so as not to burn yourself. I offended a Turkish friend when I got fidgity during our hour long tea break 'cause there was so much to do!!! She placed her hand on my arm and said in broken English, "We are becoming friends Laura.." What could be more important? My new friends have taken it on themselves to memorize just how I like my coffee. "How many sugar cubes Laura?" I wish you could hear how they say my name. Some of my new friends speak no English and I no Turkish, but we each speak in our own respective languages and gesture. A woman and I ended up dancing as we were so animated; she grabbed my hand and started twirling. But we became friends and later at our 2nd coffee break she called down to my room, "Laura...coffee!!!" Beautiful culture, just beautiful. It is both friendly and loving. Of course me being white and blue eyes I am quite easy to pick out, so I avoid eye contact with men I don't know. I walk as if I know where I'm going, when half the time I don't. I'm walking off the pounds everyone!!!!The water is so beautiful and I am in awe every time I cross to the Asian side. It truly is so wonderful. But it is a shock and it will take time...

ps. My blog is best viewed in firefox

4 Comments:

Blogger Rich B said...

I found your blog randomly, and I was surprised at how much your experiences sound like mine. I've traveled a lot in E Europe and the Mediterranean--and Turkey is next on the list!

If you're interested, you can read my blog about my trip to Ukraine this summer, where I also taught.

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura,
Happy birthday one day late! I'm sorry I didn't send greetings earlier. I was thinking of you...but working. :-(

Clarissa

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura it sounds beautiful, I hope that we can share coffee together sometime before you leave. Love you and hope you have a great weekend. Sarah is upset that there is no school on Monday but the others are thilled there is no school (how they learn fast). Paula

6:36 PM  
Blogger T-Mac said...

Wow, this is amazing! I'm so happy for you! It sounds like you really made the right choice.

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home