08 August 2006

The Support Has Been Amazing!

Wow! Everyone has been so supportive over my decesion to go with Turkey instead of the Peace Corps! I am so thankful for all of you and I'm truly going to miss you! Jean, I would love to know more about your friends in Istanbul! I'm so sorry that I am replying to you now... VBS remained fabulous! I am so proud of everyone who is helping; this is by far the smoothest it has ever run! I HATE it when I show up to volunteer and it goes like this: kids screaming in my ears, I can't even hear myself think and over time I stop thinking completely, there is a schedule but only the director knows it, the kids don't have name tags so I end up calling them by their shirt colors ie; blue shirt, one of my crew gets bloody because green shirt from another group punched him, I'm there 20 minutes after it is over because I have the kids whose Mother NEVER shows up on time, we sing all new VBS songs but the projector is broken so we "have to sing from memory" and snack is as stale as last years VBS snack and for some odd reason it looks the same... Which is why sometimes I drag my feet on volunteering. So let me tell you, Fiesta has been fabulous. My crew kids have NAMES, I get a new schedule in my uplifting brightly colored bag EVERY DAY, snack is super tasty AND in cool shapes, the songs are fun and full of energy (I don't even feel self concious!), my crew was picked up by parents within 5 minutes of it ending (on time) AND as the girls are leaving they say, "see you tomorrow..."

1 Comments:

Blogger T-Mac said...

I have this vague fear that my first PC teaching day will go something like what you described....

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home