01 August 2006

The Ring of Fire


I received a formal, formal offer to teach in Indonesia, and seriously people, I might just take it...

Jakarta Indonesia on the Island of Java (I love coffee...)

Average temperature stays above 86 degrees F.
Tropical, hot and humid.
Regular religious uprisings Islam vs. Christianity
Jakarta is the capital
Border countries: Malaysia, East Timor and Papua New Guinea
Natural Hazards: occasional floods, severe droughts, tsunamis, earth quakes, forest fires and volcanoes (who wouldn't want to go?)
88 percent Muslim
5 percent Protestan Christian
17 August Independence Day!

For the most part, from what I've read; ex pats aren't real happy over there.

3 Comments:

Blogger Farina Situmorang said...

I don't know why expats aren't happy living in Jakarta.. Jakarta is not a bad place to live. It's actually quite good!

Okay, I'm not an expat, but I pretty much have been to more than 20 countries around the world & I work in an international environment. In every city in this world there are advantages & disadvantages. You just have to make the best out of every city. Most of my expat friends are happy in Jakarta. Probably you should ask Treespotter what is it that he doesn't like about Jakarta.

What's not to like?:
1. Very good food
2. Very cheap stuffs to go shopping
3. Great clubbing scenes
4. Gorgeous people (okay, it depends which social circle are you hanging out with)
5. You can really afford housemaids & drivers legally (you can even make them wear uniforms, though I don't think they'll like it)

Actually it's quite exciting. You should give it a try first.

6:33 AM  
Blogger T-Mac said...

The muslim part wouldn't bother me, but the heat might. Aside from that, it would probably be really awesome. I find it funny that you're either going to go to a really hot country or a really cold country. Either way, best of luck, you'll be in my prayers!

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The expats at my office (in Indonesia, I am) are too extremely happy that they don't really want to leave while other people surrounding them really want them to leave.
Who's unhappy here, now ?

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home