07 July 2006

It's a Waiting Game


I can't help but wonder if my file is lost. I know that it is not; everything in Gods time; right? Peace Corps said the best thing I can do during this time is to spend time with friends and family. Easier said than done, because people want to know details! You see, I have this allergy to penicillon. Perhaps that is holding the people up in D.C.; it held up my dr here... And then you hear other people in the Peace Corps saying things like, "If you can't handle waiting you can't handle the Peace Corps." Oh really.... And others saying, "They might have forgotten about you...be the annoying one and email..." Advice is relative. One thing I learned while living in Russia is that sometimes you need to stop and stare out the window. Many times I would wake up to find my thin host mother staring out the (okna) window. Her left hand held a hot cup of tea and her right arm held back the curtains while her hand rested on the cold window. Brown eyes turned to me as I walked beside her. "Sneg (snow) for now Laurychka, but the sun is coming." She was waiting. She's always waiting for the snow to melt, for spring to come, and her husband to come home. Sometimes we would wait together and she would comb my hair. The next 27 months will be waiting as well. I'll be waiting for the next email, letter and phone call. I will never forget running through the snow in my boots because someone had yelled, "Picma Laura!!!" I recieved a letter via post. I will miss home; it certaintly won't look like Nebraska over there! But yeah Exciting!

2 Comments:

Blogger T-Mac said...

I'm sorry you're still waiting, I'm sure it'll be fine and get worked out soon. Hang in there! I haven't made up my mind about running in Ukraine. Folks I've talked to said it isn't that common, and given the harsh winters, I'm not even sure where I would do it. However, I think I'll bring my running shoes just in case! How about you?

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Waiting is no fun...but learning how is invaluable. I promise to write you real mail. You may be the only person in the whole world I write to consistently, but I know what it's like. (If I don't, you may refer to my broken promise in a blog entry or two during your stay to properly shame me.)

Clarissa

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home