07 June 2006

Clinical Issues

Today was not a good day. I spent the day in a clinic awaiting my required HIV test. I arrived at 2:00 pm and was told that my results would not be ready until 5:30. A big deal being as I live over an hour away from the clinic. So I spent the day sitting in Barnes and Noble with a book and journal. I then went into the clinic at 5:40. (I waited ten minutes so I wouldn't "rush" the shift change.) I finally got my results, HIV-negative, at 7:30 p.m. Oh yes, the clinic CLOSED at 7. It was fabulous. They closed up the place and as the lady was leaving told us it was a mid-night clinic. "Oh brilliant," I thought. Ooops, I said it out loud. I don't think the lady likes me that much, but I still don't like her. I complained and I was told that I couldn't just take my results in an envelope because patients were finding out that they were HIV Positive and then doing nothing about it. So now it is protocol for everyone to sit with a doctor to find out their results. So I had to wait 5 1/2 hours for a doctor to hand me my sheet of paper and say, "You are free to go." Ugh, the trial of trying to serve overseas!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you and am proud of you that you are willing to go to such lengths to serve. You are so stepping out of your comfort zone. OH that would be my comfort zone. Oh if I survive this. Mom

10:50 PM  
Blogger Miller's Missions said...

L,
Unfortunately this isn't all that uncommon. I'm glad we got to talk a little bit during this frustrating time. I'm so sorry. Think of me while I wait tomorrow for stuff they probably won't give me. It's so crazy how our lives seem to be traveling in remarkably similar paths. I love you and hope you resolve this soon!
Love,
Angel <><

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura, I happened upon your blog as I was reading about the Miller's updates ... I hope you don't mind if I join in support and prayer for your Peace Corp adventure! As I was reading your posts, I couldn't help but think that you and Rebecca need to talk someday ... you have the same joy for life and a similar sense of humor! May God bless you as you step out of your comfort zone ... and your mom's!
Jean Ruwe

11:52 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I would love support and prayer Jean! Thank you so much. Rebecca has such a passion for South Africa; I would love to get to know her better.If she sends out updates I would enjoy getting them.

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home