31 May 2006

So much more than a Church

This is a Cathedral in Russia. I've heard it said, that if you have seen one Cathedral, you have seen them all. Of this I disagree. Scaffolding surrounds this Cathedral as it slowly repairs. You see, World War II was not as kind to Stalin's USSR and many Cathedrals were turned into weapon factories. Others yet were bombed. The buildings and Russia's history would be lost if it weren't for the old Priests slaving away. Notice the bottom of the picture as it leads to the top. The architecture is truly remarkable.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always hated the gaudy candy-striping on this cathedral. However, yes, all Russian churches are different. Some of my most amazing spiritual experiences happened in Russian churches. I will never when we entered the first one in Moscow, the Khram Khrista Spasiteliya (is that even kind of correct spelling), also known as the center of the ROC. I wanted to cry, it was so beautiful, and I finally understood how building something like that was not necessarily a waste of resources that could be used in other places, but a way to give your best back to God. I will also never forget the wonderful Orthodox Christians with whom I came into contact. I always felt like my faith was so small compared with their big faith and perseverance in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds.

Clarissa

12:53 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I liked the "candy striping" Every Cathedral is vastly different and so fabulous! The only time I got tire of seeing Cathedrals is when I was so hungary I felt my stomach caving in. And then I would sit down to fish that I wouldn't eat. Fabulous.

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home