17 May 2006

Chicken Jell-O

I used to be a picky eater. Consistency mattered a great deal. Looks even mattered. I had to look at food from every angle before I would dare take a SMALL bite. I began to dread two words, "Tryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy it." As if holding out the last syllable would push me over the edge into the world of food exploration. This being said, I felt nervous about living in the former Soviet Union. I heard a lot about Borscht and that made me nervous. A soup based on beets wasn't how I envisioned my future dining experiences. but is was as my director said, "eat it or you're going home." I now love Borsht and can't wait to have it again. In the interum, we went on a trip and went out to a nice restaurant to eat. Not only did they serve Reeba "fish" which I hate! they served Chicken Jell-O. It is less than appetizing. I'd rather starve I said! and I did. (If I get any requests I can post the photo of it) You see, when you go abroad you grow up and you realize that the world is so much bigger than yourself. You begin to understand that if chicken jell-o is what they are serving, then chicken jell-o is what you are eating. And some of the things you swore you would never eat again once you get back to the US of A you begin to miss. And yes, sometimes I eat an egg roll just for the tast of cooked cabbage...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sometimes wonder if I will ever miss anything from Panama. Of course those are on my most frustrated of days. But just yesterday we were eating in a Panamanian cafeteria and I had this jolt of how much I will miss it once we leave here. There are so many things that I just don't know how I will live without, but life somehow manages to go on. I did refuse to eat an entire fish they once served me here. I thought I might throw up and I asked the lady we were with what I should do and she whispered to me that I should ask the Guaymi lady across the table if she would like to help me finish my fish and sure enough, she took it right off my plate and ate the whole thing. YUK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Angel <><

8:35 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

YUCK! We should not live in countries where eating fish with eyeballs is ok! I mean really, what are the nutritional benefits of an eyeball?

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chicken jello is the worst dining experience I had in Russia, and I love trying new foods, even strange ones. I am so jealous you get to eat real borsch again, friend. The other day I put sour cream in my chili...just to pretend I was eating in Russia. It was actually not bad at all! And if I could have the yummy veggies, especially that salad my host mom, Ira, always made, I would jump at it in an instant. Oh, and the mushroom soup, too! Oh, and Georgian food! (I think maybe I should stop fantasizing about food. It's sort of pathetic.)

Clarissa

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home