20 May 2006

The Gulf of Finland

I'm normally up for an adventure. Unless you catch me on a bad day. But, while visiting St. Petersburg a bunch of us decided to hike our way to the Gulf of Finland. The water was freezing! Our feet were so cold; it was terrible! Yes, there were ice chunks floating in the water. And yes the Russians on the beach did laugh at the white American women taking off their shoes and socks. But...coming from people who strip down naked and jump in the Volga, I don't put much stock in their laughter. As departure for the Peace Corps looms before me, I am preparing myself for the inevitable laughter sure to follow me as I coexist with another people group.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is one of my favorite memories...and I remember how socially unacceptable it was. It's strange, because on one level becoming part of the culture is so important, and you work for it so hard, but on another, sometimes it's the memories of doing things where you blatantly defied the norm that you enjoy the most. I'm so excited for your new adventures! I can't wait to see your crazy pictures, and your beautiful pictures, and your sad pictures. You are so fortunate, my friend. :-)

6:57 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Hi Laura.
Thank you very much for the comment on my blog : ) I've enjoyed looking over yours and will bookmark it in order to continue to read about your travels and adventures. I'm addicted to travel as well and I definitely agree with the "if I stay too long in one place I get bored"! I'm a San Francisco native going to school in Iowa who's spent almost every summer in Finland and who will have studied abroad in both Chile and Russia. I'm glad you had such a great experience in Russia--I can't wait to go. Do you have any advice? In any event, I'm sure your Peace Corps experience will be fantastic--any word yet on where you'll be stationed? Please post lots of stories and pictures, and do stay in touch!!
-Julia : )

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home